You know how your body function. You brain is the one orchestrating everything, giving commands, while your organs follow. When you want to do something as small as picking up your smartphone to check on social media updates, your brain will first have to send signals to your hands, and your bones will have to execute them. No wonder, if your bones are not healthy, even picking up your smartphone can be a pain. Now, that’s a big problem, isn’t it?
Bones: The Things They Do
Your bones provide structure, protect organs, anchor your muscles and store calcium in themselves for strength, and they are continuously changing. When you are young, the new bone replaces the old bone faster than it does when you are older, which increases your bone mass. One reaches their peak bone mass around the age of 30 and then, bone remodeling continues.
If you attain a good bone mass by 30, your chances of developing a bone disorder reduces. The higher your peak bone mass, the lesser would be your chances of developing osteoporosis as you age.
Here are a few basic tips for you to understand how not to let your bones grow weaker:
- Eat food items rich in calcium: Calcium builds and maintains strong bones and it also may benefit beyond bone health, some studies say, it contributes in protecting your body against cancer, diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D helps your body absorb calcium, which means that all these factors are interrelated, vitamins absorb calcium and calcium makes your bones stronger. When your bones are stronger the process of aging doesn’t affect the bones dramatically, keeping your body mobile.
- Be Active: Make exercising a ritual, a habit. Exercises that are weight-bearing and involve more than one body part, such as walking, jogging, tennis and climbing stairs, stretching etc can help you build strong bones and slow bone loss.
- Meditate: Meditation helps in maintaining physical balance. If you are not a clumsy person, there are lesser chances of you tripping and falling and breaking a bone.
- Avoid substance abuse: Do not excessively smoke or consume alcohol, it increases the process of bone degeneration. It also dehydrates your body.
- Medications: the medications for, blood pressure, heart diseases, or diuretics or water, muscle relaxants or tranquilizers increase your risk of falling, that could lead t bone fracture.
We live in a fast paced, hectic world, we also spend a great deal of time in sitting in front of screens, this lifestyle can begin your process of aging even before it is time for you to start aging. You develop little pains and aches, you keep on gaining weight, you keep on underusing a few body parts and overusing a few, causing conditions like vertigo, spondylitis, spondylosis, pain in the tailbone or the entire back, all of these conditions are related to your bones and nervous system, that can make life very difficult if left untreated.
We, at Medisys, urge our readers and patients to not avoid or shrug off little pains and aches and get them treated before they turn into a bigger problem. We also encourage you to take up physical activities seriously in order to keep your bones and body active and mobile.
You can visit our department of orthopaedics to understand your condition better.
About the Hospital:
Medisys Hospitals is a growing super speciality hospital in Hyderabad that represents the vision and mission of a group of highly qualified and experienced veteran medical professionals. Started in June 2016, it is a 200-bedded hospital with all medical and surgical specialties available. We rely on our in-house state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic possibilities to provide high level care for our patients.