Every little thing you do is controlled by your brain. Be it blinking, waving, sitting, sleeping, eating and everything else that you do, the brain is the director of all our moves.
No wonder then, if there’s a disease causing an impediment in your brain’s functioning, it can disrupt your entire life. One such ailment is brain tumour, demonised by Indian movies for decades.
Having a brain tumor doesn’t necessarily mean the end of the world. It’s definitely a scar prospect, but not something that medicine cannot help you with.
What Is Brain Tumor?
Brain tumour is an abnormal growth of cells in the brain. There are many different types in it. The tumour can be malignant (contain cancer cells) or benign (do not contain cancer cells). The tumour begins within the brain tissue. It is neither gender specific nor age specific. The reason why brain tumor occurs is still unknown to doctors and researchers.
It can be diagnosed using neurologic examinations, CT scan MRI scan, spinal tap, angiogram and biopsy.
Types Of Brain Tumor
There types include:
- Acoustic neuroma: it is a non cancerous slow growing tumor in the nerve leading from inner ear to the brain
- Astrocystoma: it is a cancer developed in the brain and spinal cord
- Brain metastases: any type of cancer can spread, in such a case this is a condition where the cancer originates at some part of the body and it spreads to the brain.
- Choroid plexus carcinoma: This cancerous tumour is rare and is found in children. It originates near the brain tissue that secretes cerebrospinal fluid
- Embryonal tumors: cancerous tumor that occurs in the fetal cells of the brain
- Craniopharyngioma: a rare type of non cancerous tumor, which begins near the pituitary gland
- Ependymoma: this is a kind of tumor that can form in brain or spinal cord
- Glioblastoma: it is an aggressive cancer that occurs in the brain or spinal cord which affects the astrocyte cells
- Medulloblastoma: it is a cancerous brain tumor that starts at the cerebellum of the brain
- Meningioma: a tumor that starts in the meninges which is a membrane surrounding the brain and spinal cord
- Oligodendroglioma: a tumor that occur in the brain and spinal cord starting at oligodendrocyte cells that protects nerve cells
- Pediatric brain tumors: these basically occur among children which can be cancerous or non-cancerous
- Pineoblastoma: it is a very rare and aggressive type of cancer that begins in the pineal gland cells of the brain
- Pituitary tumors: an abnormal growth in the pituitary gland
What Are Its Symptoms?
When it comes to brain tumor the symptoms vary because it depends on the size, location and growth rate of the tumor. Some of the general symptoms include:
- Headaches that could vary in pattern
- Headaches become more frequent and severe
- Nausea or vomiting
- Problems with the vision
- Loss of sensation in an arm or a leg
- Inability to maintain balance
- Difficulties in speech
- Confusion in day to day matters
- Behavioural or personality changes
- Problems with hearing
How Can This Be treated?
Neurologists start the treatment for brain tumors depending upon the type, location, and size of the tumor, your health, and age. The treatment options include
- Radiation therapy
A lot of personal support and care is necessary for this. The brain tumor is a very sensitive case as it deals with the most delicate part of our body. This should be treated with the support of the best doctors. Medisys provides the best neurologists who can help you out if you are suffering from brain tumor.
About The Hospital:
Medisys Hospitals is a growing super speciality hospital in Hyderabad that represents the vision and mission of a group of highly qualified and experienced veteran medical professionals. Started in June 2016, it is a 200-bedded hospital with all medical and surgical specialities available. We rely on our in-house state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic possibilities to provide high level care for our patients.